Monday, October 6, 2014

Arguing in English

When was the last time you had an argument? What was it about? What do you generally argue about at home? What about at work? What are your top tips for arguing? What do you like or dislike about arguing?
Complaining about something
- You never tidy up.
- You said that you’d do it.
- You told them that you’d help.
- You promised that you’d clean the living room.
- You’re always leaving your clothes lying around.

Reacting to a complaint
- What are you talking about?
- You’re joking!
- Don’t make me laugh!
- Are you serious?
- Excuse me?
- I beg your pardon?
- You would say that, wouldn’t you?
- That’s typical of you!

Saying no / dismissing something
- I did not.
- Rubbish!
- I never said that.
- No way!
- Never!
- Over my dead body!
- Not in a thousand years!
- That’s crap!
- This is bullshit

Criticizing your opponent
- Speak for yourself!
- You can talk!
- You’re one to talk!
- People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones!
- What a hypocrite!

Correcting information
- I didn’t do that.
- Take it or leave it, that wasn’t true.
- That wasn’t me.
- No, I didn’t take it.
- No, it was me who helped them.
- You didn’t have anything to do with it.
- I was the one who took it back to the shop.

Getting serious
- Right! That’s it!
- I’ve had enough of this!
- That does it!
- You’ve gone too far!

Ending the argument
- OK, if you say so!
- Just drop it!
- Whatever you say!
- You haven’t heard the last of this!
- Let’s just move on, shall we?
- I can’t be bothered to argue about this any longer.
- I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment